Recent Posts

22 May 2010

Good Styling v Bad Styling featuring JIBRI and City Chic (pic heavy)

 

This is good no great styling, the photographer, stylist and make-up artist have worked together and created a gorgeous lookbook for JIBRI inspired by Joan Crawford (no coathangers though), Old Style Glamour with a Hitchcock moodiness whilst remaining feminine, desirable and romantic. 

However City Chic has come up with...
I don't know the items in the photo but the image was taken from here City Chic's lookbook

Now you are probably thinking that I'm just this whingey girl who has created some City Chic bashing blog because of some random childhood trauma... well I'm not. I just think the City Chic lookbook shots are unflattering, amateurish and remind me of awful glamour shots (on a sheepskin rug yuk) instead of a brand trying to be cutting edge in the youth plus size market.

  And I think that comparing look books with another plus size designer who as an independent designer manages to keep her items at a very similar price point to a major manufacturer who utilises overseas factories to make their garments is also a very interesting point to mention (cough* you are too frickin expensive for the quality of garment you produce)

anyway lets compare more pictures.


I love this shot, yes the dress needs a bit of an iron but that little girls expression steals the show

or


Dear Diary, I went out partying in the city and then woke up this morning and found myself in the strangest place, hideous pastel polyester was hanging everywhere, and a fake sheepskin rug, oh and a four litre size bottle of KY Jelly in the corner,  I can't find any doors and windows and my bottom is a bit sore, but I'm still dressed cute. (ok that's what I thought when looking at this photo...yeah I know I have issues)

or



How hot is this dress? If I had a place to wear it I would buy it, but alas all I do is work or travel to or from work and if I'm doing either one of those things I'm sleeping and as cute as it is I think it would be wasted as a night dress.

 or

I'm not really feeling the Great Gatsby meets Jenny from the Block outfit but the Model's Children of the Corn expression does tie it together to be something else.

Well that's it. for now stay tuned for more City Chic bashing impartial blogging coming soon.

P.S thanks for the comments you are all sweeties with sugar on top

7 comments:

sizeoftheocean said...

Co-signed times a million! (especially on the cost vs quality fail)

Lynda said...

I read Fashion Hayley raving about these exact pictures just the other week on the City Chic blog.
I have to say, it is pretty different from the stuff she usually shows on her own blog...raises questions about how much more you'll like a brand if they're paying you to. And how much more you should be asking for in some seasons.

Anonymous said...

I cringe looking at the City Chic website. Most of their clothes look cheap and nasty and don't entice me to buy at all. You're right though, the lookbook is very amaturish.

Its so disappointing though because I feel like City Chic has the potential to be so much more.

definatalie said...

Gerl you went there! Someone needs to. I couldn't even bring myself to criticise the CC lookbook photos because I feel a need to apologise for the label, considering it's the only legit plus size label in Australia that's making an effort right now.

But yeh, it was poorly conceived and shockingly executed. Fat girls deserve more!

Anonymous said...

Someone got a lot of points on their Spotlight VIP card after buying all those metres of drapey white gauze...

PS. I have a yellow denim jacket from Jibri and it's awesome. It's really well designed and isn't made out of shiny polyester.

Miss Kiki said...

sizeoftheocean : thanks; I'm glad people agree with me on the pricing.

Lynda: Heya! I need to email you + I can't comment on Hayley's Opinions as a) I don't know her and b) I am not her; but if she genuinely likes them she genuinely likes them, however her high opinion of the City Chic lookbooks will most likely shape my opinion of her content in the future.

kimberpotamus: I agree that City chic has so much potential; and whilst they may not be my style I expect some level of professional in the presentation. (p.S. love your user-name)

definatalie: I completely understand the not wanting to criticise a brand that appears to be making an effort, but like I said on the twitter I can't tolerate half arsed ugly, and that lookbook was blatantly so, looking at those pictures it felt like that everyone on that shoot was making fun of the Plus size-market. Here's hoping they listen to little ol' me

insanegownposse: Bwhahahaha! I know it's so half arsed!

corpulent: LOL! Theres so much of it, I never thought Spotlight VIP points could of been the whole motivation for the shoot, Ooh I'm jealous of the Jibri jacket, I'm thinking if I have any tax refund left I'm going to drop some money her way, and that jacket is one of the many things of yours I want to just blatantly copy

glittergirl said...

This is hilarious! I don't know much about City Chic but its not even fair to put those pics next to the Jibri pictures. LOL...And I'm sure City Chic has more money to put into their pictures!! Go figure

Post a Comment

.